Here is a beautiful story. Back in 1938 in La Gloria, a small town between Tijuana and Rosarito Mexico, Danny Herrera, a restaurant owner was in love. She was a former Broadway dancer and legend tells he was mesmerized with her; her name was Marjorie King. After talking to her, he offered her a drink but apparently, she was allergic most spirits but, you guessed it, not tequila.
He created a drink which consisted of fresh lemon juice, tequila, cointreau, served shaken over shaved ice and rimmed the glass with lemon juice, dipped it in salt, added a lemon wedge and a new legendary drink was born. He named the drink Margarita which is the equivalent of Marjorie in Spanish.
We don’t know if this story is true, but it surely is beautiful. We think we could all use a little love story to warm our hearts just a bit during these crazy times. That’s why at Tropical Fruit Box, we racked our brains and collaborated with a chef to come up with the Habanero Pepper Infused Margarita Recipe inspired by the fruits and peppers in our Tropical Fiesta Box.
- 1 Habanero pepper
- 2 oz agave syrup
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 oz fresh lime juice 6 lime slices
- 6 oz tequila
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle habanero, agave syrup and 1 oz water.
- Strain ingredients above into a small bowl. Rinse shaker.
- On plate, mix chili powder, sea salt and sugar.
- Rub rims of 4 glasses with 1 lime slice; dip in chili powder.
- Fill cocktail shaker with ice. Add lime juice, tequila and syrup; shake for 20 seconds.
- Divide between glasses and garnish with lime slices.
There you have it, a hot, spicy, and definitely tasty Margarita that will lift you up in these times of sorrow. Now it’s up to you to make it and let us know how you liked it, we are surely enjoying it!